Old Chapel, Horfield, Bristol – Conversion
Client: Snapdragons Nurseries Ltd
Architect: Design & Build
Programme: 24 weeks
Scope of Work: Conversion of a Grade 2 Listed 2 Old Chapel, to provide nursery facilities arranged over three floors.
The chapel was built in 1857, for use by soldiers of Horfield Barracks, using squared pennant stone with limestone dressings under slate tiled roofs. The elevations can be described as middle pointed Gothic revival style.
The building had already been converted for use as open plan offices, and the conversion works from former offices to nursery school facilities, provides new classroom/play areas, washroom/toilets with child friendly colourful cubicles and vanity units, kitchen, reception, and storage areas.
The external works incorporated grassed areas, play equipment, car parking and waste stores Budget and timing to open for autumn term were all key factors, and both were met successfully.